Friday, March 11, 2011

Waiting for...I dunno.

This isn't really a new post--I just put in with flannerybomb before I created this one. It probably belongs here rather than there. (Originally posted February 20th)



Eric and I watched a good portion of "Waiting for Superman," the documentary that supposedly exposes all of the failures of our school system. My heart was so given to the cause in general. The system is so behind in and of itself so I feel the frustrations that many involved parties also feel. But (there has to be one...) this documentary fell so short of actually getting us a panorama of the problems (or any viable solutions). We also saw nothing past the fifth grade, and all parents were painted as involved/caring and the charges of obviously brilliant children. There was no investigation into why the Nordic schools do better--just that they do. How about let's look at their culture in general also?

Where to we get to talk about the system at large? Where do we get to talk about potential community involvement via relationships? I didn't know that the American people truly wanted a government establishment to raise their kids (from motivation to fitness--you name it, the schools are now responsible). Most Americans would be appauled by invasive legislation that decided what practices occured at home, but we want the school systems to do it instead?

It's hard to understand that Bill Gates (a part of this new 2.0-3.0 world we live in) isn't familiar with the research on motivation for the new generation. Maybe we all need to read some of Daniel Pink's books.

I get that it takes a Village. As a teacher, I feel honored to part of that village. I'm just wondering what happened to parents, community groups and religious groups?

It would've been so interesting to me to see a two-parter that then went on to explore innovative ideas and practices that might REPLACE the system if we wanted to go there (especially since as a society we expect the schools to raise our kids). At least that would be more proactive and honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment