Friday, August 5, 2011

Home Rhythms

It seems funny to think about our daily rhythms a lot as we are about to have far less daily time to enjoy the spaciousness rhythms offer (alongside great security). But here I am. :)

Maybe it's that Eleni, my baby, is growing into a toddler. I read a verse (whose author I don't know) that struck and misted me a bit:

Cooking and cleaning can wait till tomorrow,
For babies grow up, we've learned to our sorrow.
So settle down cobwebs, dust go to sleep,
I'm nursing my baby and babies don't keep
.

Rocking Eleni before sleep has been so sweet lately. She flops around on me a bit, but she wriggles so much less because she too knows the holding is less if she does. In the twilight, she looks into my eyes and smiles. With her I generally have to lift my glasses off of my face and onto my head because she is a face to face baby (quite literally).

Some families actually have days given to specific rhythms of their homes. Things like baking day, craft day, drawing day, handiwork day, painting day, outdoor/gardening day etc. Ours is hardly that organized or "advanced" in terms of what the girls and I can do, but the place anything like those activities holds is rhythmic--there are opportune times for actitivities that are more or less constructive in both the early and the later parts of our days. It's such a gentle hum around here in the summer (even with irritated babies) that we have a hard time waking back up to dark mornings and busy schedules August 15th.

I'm working on a simplification project of sorts before we jump back into school. I want to be conscious of our pace and life at home, sanctuary that it is and should be. We've weeded toys and are looking next at clothes (as we do at every transition in the year). I'm reading a great book that seems meant for just this process called Simplicity Parenting. It's spot on with our values and dreams for our family with lots of helpful tips and frames.

We're considering menus and ideas for ways to still eat together and at a decent time. With Eric's schedule, it's a "shifts" thing. We still light our meal candle and say a little blessing these days to keep the feeling right. It'd be nice to put a stronger emphasis on a truly decent and decorated meal on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment