Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Simplicity Parenting


What an amazing book, truly. I'm not saying that we didn't already consider many of these ideas crucial and have them in place (in a less developed form often), but I learned a lot. There were so many suggestions to possibly work on that there's no way I could post them all here. I made notes for myself along the way.

Some key ideas have to do with how much stuff we have in our kids' home environment and how it's organized. What I found most helpful was the types of toys he mentioned, and it gave me some ideas for Christmas presents this year (many of which I've already gotten as I read). I plan to make them some too.

We appropriated videos to visiting family and the school/daycare exposure they're already getting plenty of (sadly). That was a big adjustment for us to consider since video time has been part of our routine at home. But they're both very young, and it's far easier to do things like that now than it would be later once the effects were more greatly detrimental and the addiction stronger.

We already see the negative impact on Zoë--she cries when we turn it off, she doesn't focus on people or things that aren't super animated like her favorite shows, her head is mostly filled with the shallow stories (not always shallow, for what it's worth--there's a range of quality in those videos). So we figured it was time to take this big step anyway...to give her room to make her own stories, her own identity and to revel in a peaceful family life.

It's already really fun to include Zoë in home tasks which she loves, so we'll beef that up a bit. One nice thing that cooler weather will bring is greater/easier opportunities to be outside and experience nature as much as we'd truly like to. School days are busy, but there are weekends and small things we can do during the week.

There's a good chance I'll need to reread this book as the girls enter different stages because there's such a range of ages he discusses.

So, if you're inclined, check out this beautiful, helpful book (by Kim John Payne).

No comments:

Post a Comment