Saturday, May 5, 2012

Joining a CSA

I never thought we'd have the chance to join a local CSA. Enter Taylor Creek Farm. We live in a small town that seemed incapable of making space for my dreams of community, natural health and earth-conscious living. I was so wrong. I keep meeting people in my generation who are doing something about their beliefs and not just in their own gardens/homes. They're getting busy. It's wonderful to be part of that and to get to know others with similar values. Here's what we bought today just from their leftovers:
We're grilling the fennel, radishes and zucchini. I'll juice those beets, and we'll have some lovely salads with the lettuce. We also picked up some expensive but healthy grass-fed Angus Beef from Indian Creek Angus (out of Carnesville).

4 comments:

  1. How do you grill Fennel? ... do tell your secrets! I have sliced the bulb very thin for salads but never thought about putting it on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cut it up (and even a little of the stalks) and stuck it in our extra virgin olive oil and seasonings baggy (with all the other veg--that's how we do zucchini, asparagus, green beans, you name it). It's lovely. The farmer said to lay the leafy/wispy part on top of the meat as a flavor, but we haven't tried that. I'm so impressed with Eric--he totally ate radishes tonight (grilled).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I might not juice the beats after seeing this recipe:

    http://www.fortheloveoffoodblog.com/2012/01/sesame-roasted-beets-and-greens.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing: the CSA will hopefully send us a fennel recipe this week so I'll pass that along when possible!

    ReplyDelete