Friday, June 29, 2012

Nourishing Traditions

It's a bit silly to say that one is reading Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, but really, that's what I've been doing. The introduction is tons of large pages with relatively small print. It covers principles discovered by Weston A. Price and tons of other research to boot.
This book is mainly a cookbook though. I don't even think I can begin to explain what I'm learning in the introduction. It's so much information that it makes me want to commit to becoming an official student of nutrition and to start memorizing stuff. There is a lot of debate these days about best nutrition etc. We have this Weston A. Price camp. Veganism is strong, and the Paleo/GAPS people have really gained momentum. Regardless of the conclusions we make when we study these approaches indepth, I see a fundamental, obvious point linking them: get rid of all this processed, industrial junk. Eat close to home, close to the earth. Retain some sort of real connection to what we put into our bodies. Another thing this and some new-to-me cookbooks have convinced me that I need a lot more quiet/uninterrupted time with cookbooks each week!

No comments:

Post a Comment