Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Louie's Cooking Class: Tomato Sauce

My friend Louie can cook, wow! So I asked her to school me in some fresh, basic eggplant parmesan. We start here with the sauce. I quartered the random tomatoes I had and drizzled (gulped on?) extra virgin olive oil. I cooked them at 475 F for an hour--definitely HOT.
Like she does, I roasted other things there like jalapenos (for other projects). I added some garlic because that had to be in my sauce personally. :)
They were very soupy--I didn't need so much oil. I did my best to drain them as I worked with them, a bit at a time.
I used the best strainer I have around and the pestle for spices, grinding the roasted tomatoes through the strainer. Celtic sea salt was next, and I cooked the sauce an hour on low in the crockpot to thicken it a bit. Later I roasted some onions and added them to the sauce in pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment