Sunday, April 28, 2013

Big Changes

Do you ever wonder why things don't really seem like they are economically improving?  Every time I do, I try to realize that we're still not hit as hard as other places like Spain (27% unemployment).  There are people who believe our institutions will ultimately fail (even our governments).  I see it in education as well as the financial world.  There is real concern about global warming and the wars for resources.  I don't think the US really understands just how many people in China and India are getting to a place to be able to pay for those resources, and since we owe so many people money I'm afraid they'll get those resources.  That means that the 20% of the world eating up 80% of the worlds' resources will have to learn how to get out of the consumerist hamster wheel.
This kind of collapse leads some to believe that it's a blessing, that it's just the coming apocalypse and that the earth was never our dwelling place, not really.  The Christian Bible says we'll neither know the day nor the hour so I don't entertain all that.  I'd rather look at things the way the Mayans did in terms of that tumultuous 2012.  To them, the point wasn't destruction, it was the ushering in of a new era a human brotherhood.  What does it look like in my community, my neighborhood, my home?  I actually don't see my domestic hobbies as simply hobbies (even though I really do enjoy learning all of this good stuff)--I see them as eventualities.  Perhaps things won't show up until the girls are in their hey days, but they're learning along with me.

It's good to need each other.  I'm not talking about codependence or dependence; I'm thinking more along the lines of interdependence.  That would actually solve some of our current problems.  Sherry Turkle (author of "Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other") talks about our needs not being met socially and that we don't really know how to have a conversation anymore.  Working together on need-based projects in our local areas certainly might give us that opportunity back.

There is a sinister concern here too.  When people find themselves in great need, ever do opportunists see room to appoint themselves caretakers and to control us.  Fascism is a possibility when collapses come.  Dystopic stories like "The Handmaid's Tale," "Farenheight 451" and "Brave New World" (along with the more modern movies like "Equilibrium").  You can halfway see it, right?  We're already addicted to tons of pharmaceuticals, and we don't even have touch with the basic skills and knowledge about living and working in nature.  Media tells us what to think and essentially lulls us into a kind of static at times.  I'm not a doomsdayer over all, but I do think we need to be aware and extremely thoughtful.

No comments:

Post a Comment