Thursday, February 13, 2014

Ayurveda

The best introduction, as far as I can see to Ayurveda is Eat-Taste-Heal.  It was recommended by a certified and well-trained Ayurvedic practitioner (Atlanta), and I can attest that it's accessible to a Western mind/understanding.  The other introduction I've been working through is Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing: A Practical Guide.  While I'm not complaining about that one, I can see how Eat-Taste-Heal makes it simpler for a novice to feel out the Ayurvedic system and start to understand parts.  There are also lots of recipes in Part II.

When I'm ready to look at more in-depth explorations and more variety in recipes, I'm going after Prakriti: Your Ayurvedic Constitution.  Also, Ayurveda: A Life of Balance and Ayurvedic Cooking for Westerners.  We'll see if my interest truly keeps me digging.  I bought those books with some Christmas money so I'm excited to learn more.  I want to be careful to be genuine though and not just pursue this knowledge carelessly.

There's so much I usually want to learn, but once you purchase books sometimes there's a sense of obligation or guilt.  My general motivation is in line with wanting all areas of health to flow and be joined.  Meditation has brought some of that to bear, and working with a naturopath is extremely healthy in facing up to the roll lifestyle has.

The practitioner I met isn't that far away so I might consult with her at some point.  She's a jewel of a resource to be so close since her training is a direct line back to Maharishi.  I know there are many sources of learning, but I particularly appreciate him and his heart for the West and willingness to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment