Friday, September 26, 2014

Faith Unraveled

I just finished Faith Unraveled: How a Girl Who Knew All the Answers Learned to Ask Questions by Rachel Held Evans (her blog is quite good too).
This one is quite a page turner.  For the first few chapters, I mostly nodded and smiled knowingly as I was in on so much of the lingo, so many of the Evangelical Christian concerns.  It almost felt like watching the movie Saved for me.  (Ok, maybe I'm a little snarky?)

Her path is similar to my own, and I really appreciate that the place she ends up isn't one of despair but rather of renewed hope.  She is more interested in the Community coming together to have these conversations and wander (and wonder) through the questions together than having clear answers.  Her conclusion is that you can doubt things about God without doubting God.  There's so much more to the book than this conclusion though--so many of those amazing moments when I had those tears of recognition etc.  The ending is priceless as she looks at what children really want when they ask an adult questions and how those questions should be answered (most powerfully with stories of course).

No comments:

Post a Comment