Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Danish way of Parenting

I really enjoyed "The Danish Way of Parenting."  It's a book as much about Danish values and living as it is about parenting.  For over 40 years, the Danes have been voted the happiest people in the world.  This book explores a lot of that and attributes the happiness strongly to how they raise their families.  A+
They use an acronym to illustrate the various points: PARENT

Play

Authenticity

Reframing

Empathy

No Ultimatums

Togetherness.

Those themes are explored in detail and done well.  I might take issue with a few tiny details in how to best help/support children aspect, but the heart of it is still consistent with what I understand.  Most ideas weren't new, but looking at how they're exercised/experienced was instructive and helpful.  For most of my dear friends/acquaintances, many of the ideas would be quite new.  It also brought home to me how easily I might enjoy this culture/society!

No comments:

Post a Comment