Saturday, June 18, 2016

Recent Courses

I've been enjoying some classes lately.  One that finished a couple of weeks ago was Dr. Neufeld's "Preserving Play in a Digital World."  That topic and the subsequent info around both play and the digital world are all fascinating.  I really enjoyed the mingling of it all.  Play is absolutely endangered, make no mistake.  I had no idea how strangely lacking it was before some of the statistics comparing our current culture to even 20-30 years ago.  I'm currently reading Last Child in the Woods which addresses many of these concerns also.  The understanding of the digital world as shortcuts is very interesting in terms of the relational needs of humans and particularly children developing.  The interactive part of the course offered some markers for when our children are ready to deal with the digital world (particularly social media).  I loved Dr. Shefali Tsabary's and Meghan Leahy's conversation regarding the former's new book.  They touch on some of these themes.


A Simple Year is offered usually once a year, but they have it open now.  I have been playing with January through June so far.  Some months didn't seem that relevant to me at present (like March which was about travel), but they have different minimalists leading each area/month.  They do webinars, have short readings and offer any relevant resources.  They also have personalized homework so you can apply the principles where it matters most.  I have learned a bit more from the experts for sure, but if you're new to simplifying or minimalism, I think you'd get even more from the material.  January (declutter time) and May (simplifying the digital world) are two favorite areas so far.  I'm really excited about July which will have to do with finances.  I really like Cait Flanders' work, and she's leading that.  I am new to her mindful budgeting system but like it a lot so far.

While the course is technically over, but I'm still working through The Enneagram for Awakening (with Russ Hudson).  New for me this time are the three instincts.  Still, there's such richness in each module I've done!  His and Don Riso's The Wisdom of the Ennegram book was my first book, and I also did his seminar with Richard Rohr (Enneagram as a Tool for Your Spiritual Journey).  He's a very thoughtful instructor and really digs into things, explaining them thoroughly.  I've been taking notes, but I need to go back and do a lot of journal work and then try his deepening practices for each module.  This stuff will happen slowly in layers as inner work always seems to.

No comments:

Post a Comment