Sunday, November 20, 2016

The Worst of Times

I lie to my children that everything will be alright.  What isn't a lie is that we will protect them, that they will be safe and that it's now our pleasure to be a friend to the mistreated and to stand up for them where we can.

When I confess here that things won't be okay, I'm not being dramatic.  We weren't moving fast enough before on the climate crisis, and now we have someone who moves to take us backwards.  It reminds me of the DNC staffer yelling at Donna Brazile that while the latter will die of old age, the former will likely die because of climate change.  It's to acknowledge the painful truth that I will probably never be a grandmother and certainly wouldn't be a great grandmother.

Hate crimes are higher than after 9/11.  Muslim registries bandied about, massive deportations, fringe racists in all the top positions.  He won't divest himself of his assets, and there are huge conflicts of interest already present there and in his appointment of Flynn (as regards Turkey most especially).  He brags about sexual assault.  He doesn't seems to know how to handle foreign officials, and he follows no protocols in place legally for transition.  He can't honestly meet any of his responsibilities and has perpetually ripped of clients/contractors/students (Trump U).  He spends all his time tweeting and doesn't understand ANYTHING about governing.

To bring faith and hope to the fore is to skip too quickly past this.  In fact, we have no idea if our faiths tell us the truth at all.  What we do know is right here, right now.  We know that we're destroying our only home and our only guaranteed lives.  And our children's lives.

The same key brings abortion up for me since I know evangelical Christians all around me voted for the man-child for this issue.  Obviously anyone discerning knows he's not a Christian and isn't concerned about babies.  Mike Pence is sincere but in the scariest ways.  (Check out "The Family" or "C Street" if you want to understand the dangers present with him and the Christian right!)

If we are pro-life, perhaps it is wise to consider protecting the planet: you know, ALL of life?  If you have to choose between those two, it really is a no-brainer.

So I have truly distanced myself from the white evangelical church completely now.  I'm not sure I even want to be known as a Christian at all.  It's their greed and lust for power that got us here, and that is the Church's history in general.  (It's the one thing Jesus got super pissed off about too.)

Everyday this man's mark gets worse.  Every person he appoints, every little tacky/illegal action he seems to take.  We're in for a long haul though, even though millions voted for someone else.

The holiday meal tables will hopefully be free of related conversation. I'm doing my best in that arena.  Most of my loved ones elected Orange Hitler.

And then...

No comments:

Post a Comment